Born in South Korea, lives and works in between London, Düsseldorf and Seoul.
PD Dr. phil. habil. Hyunseon Lee is a London based film -, media & literary scholar. She is currently a Privat-dozent in Modern German Literature/Media Studies, German Department of University Siegen. She is also a Research Associate at Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, and Centre for Creative Industries, Media and Screen Studies, SOAS (School of Oriental & Asian Studies), University of London, where she has taught Korean cinema for the last 4 years.
She studied Modern German Literature, Film, Theatre and TV Studies, and Korean Literature at Yonsei University in Seoul, Ruhr-University Bochum and FU Berlin. She received her PhD on the discourses of confession in East German literature with a distinction at the University of Dortmund. She achieved her ‘Habilitation’ (German professorial degree) at the University of Siegen in 2013.
She has held various scholarships and fellowships at Siegen University (Germany), Seoul National University (South Korea), Columbia University (New York) and Chuo University (Tokyo) and at the IGRS, University of London, and lectured widely in the fields of literature, film, media and cultural studies at various universities. She was also a Researcher at the Institute of Media Art, Yonsei University in Seoul.
Her recent research interests focus on film festivals, Korean peninsula cinema and Korean Wave, Aesthetics of Media with a focus on interculurality and intermediality, German and Komparative Literature . She has published various works on German literature, media and gender, Japanese film, martial arts film, (Korean) film and history, shamanism, and Korean visual culture, North Korean film and opera performance.
Her publications include books
- Metamorphoses of Madame Butterfly. Intercultural Love Affairs Between Literature, Opera and Film (monograph in German; Heidelberg: University Press Winter, 2020)
- A Database Korean Peninsula Cinema (2018)
- Opera, Exoticism and Visual Culture (co-edited, Oxford/Bern/Frankfurt et al.: Peter Lang 2015)
- Murderesses (co-edited, Bielefeld: transcript 2013)
- Akira Kurosawa und seine Zeit (co-edited, Bielefeld: transcript 2005)
- Geständniszwang und ‘Wahrheit des Charakters’ in der Literatur der DDR. Diskursanalytische Fallstudien (monograph, Stuttgart: J.B. Metzler, 2000)
- Hyunseon Lee: Günter de Bruyn – Christoph Hein – Heiner Müller. 3 Interviews (Univ. Siegen 1996).
Her forthcoming books are
- Korean Film & Festivals: Global Transcultural Flows (editor, London/New York: Routledge, 2021)
- Korean Film and History (editor, London/New York: Routledge, 2022)