PD Dr. Hyunseon Lee is a London based film, media and literary scholar. She is a Privat-Dozent in Media Studies and Modern German Literature at the Department of German, University of Siegen, and a Research Associate at Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, and Centre for Creative Industries, Media and Screen Studies, SOAS, University of London. She is also a member of the Institute of the Humanities, Yonsei University in Seoul.
She studied Modern German Literature, Film, Theatre and TV Studies, and Korean Literature at Yonsei University in Seoul, Ruhr-University Bochum and FU Berlin. She received her PhD on the discourses of confession in East German literature with a distinction at the University of Dortmund. She achieved her ‘Habilitation’ (German professorial degree) at the University of Siegen in 2013.
She has held various scholarships and fellowships at Siegen University (Germany), Yonsei University, Seoul National University (South Korea), Columbia University in New York city (USA ) and Chuo University (Tokyo, Japan) and at the IGRS, University of London (UK), and lectured widely in the fields of literature, film, media and cultural studies at various universities.
She is Author of the books:
- Metamorphosen der Madame Butterfly. Interkulturelle Liebschaften zwischen Literatur, Oper und Film [Metamorphoses of Madame Butterfly. Intercultural Love Affairs Between Literature, Opera and Film] (Heidelberg: University Press Winter, 2020).
- Geständniszwang und ‘Wahrheit des Charakters’ in der Literatur der DDR. Diskursanalytische Fallstudien [Compulsion to Confess and ‘Truth of Character’ in the Literature of the GDR. Discourse Analytical Case Studies] (Stuttgart: J.B. Metzler, 2000).
- Hyunseon Lee: Günter de Bruyn – Christoph Hein – Heiner Müller. 3 Interviews (Univ. Siegen, MUK 95/96).
She is Solo Editor of two books:
- Korean Film and History (London, New York et al.: Routledge, Sep. 2023).
- Korean Film & Festivals: Global Transcultural Flows (London, New York et al.: Routledge, Oct. 2022).
Also, Co-editor of three books:
- Opera, Exoticism and Visual Culture (Oxford/Bern/Frankfurt et al.: Peter Lang 2015).
- Mörderdinnen [Murderesses] (Bielefeld: transcript 2013).
- Akira Kurosawa und seine Zeit [Akira Kurosawa and His Time] (Bielefeld: transcript 2005).
And a creator of
- A Database Korean Peninsula Cinema (2018).
Her publications include numerous articles on the topics of German literature, East Asian and Korean peninsula cinema, gender, exoticism, popular culture and media aesthetics.
See full list of her publication – https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Hyunseon-Lee-3/research
She is currently researching war, gender, and memory in European and East Asian cultures, with a focus on K-culture as well as North and South Korean cinema.